Arts define a culture with so much pride and unquestionable significance. These beautiful creations express the inner sentiments of a human soul even without saying a word. But, what exactly is an art in its conceptual framework including major derivatives? Taking a cue from its simplest definition, an art denotes different ranges of human endeavors that involve the creation of the following: visual, performing and fine arts. In its deepest context, these fascinating byproducts of human cognition express the author’s creative imaginations alongside with their inherent technical skills. Above anything else, different types of art enthuse emotional power and beauty.
Types of Art
Arts are divided into 6 general types. These are as follows:
- Fine Arts – These are those artworks which have been created for aesthetic purposes and not merely for commercial reasons. Under these include drawings, paintings, printmaking and sculpture.
- Visual Arts – Visual arts encompass all fine arts together with the newest forms of contemporary expressions like Collage, Assemblage, Conceptual, Performance and Installation Arts. Of course, Photography is not left behind.
- Plastic Arts – Traditionally, these types talk about those 3D works that commonly refer to high-grade materials that can be magnificently moulded, fashioned and manipulated with utmost perfection. Among these are: Clay, stone, plaster, metal, wood, and paper.
- Decorative Arts – Decorative arts denote functional but ornamental forms. Classic examples of these are glass, clay, metal, and wood or textile fabric. Did you know that the jewelries that you wear rightfully belong to this category? Also, mosaic arts are notably mentioned here.
- Performance Arts – Refers to public performances or events. Speaking of its traditional variations, we have these results of human excellence – theatre, music, ballet and opera. Meanwhile, its sub-type which is the contemporary performance arts touch on the medium that badly needs the physical appearance of an artist. Examples of these are body painting and mime.
- Applied Arts – These unique forms of human ingenuity perceive the importance of aesthetic designs to our day-to-day use of functional objects. Thus, applied arts involve the use of utilitarian items such as cups, couch, sofa, table or chair. Hence, computer arts, industrial design, photography and graphic design are in the same way closely associated with applied arts.
Arts of England
The royalty and magnificence of England’s arts essay all forms of visual arts ever since the historic formation of the powerful Kingdom of Great Britain in the year 1707. Generally, some of the finest artworks that originated from UK are the following:
Portraiture, landscape and the Stonehenge which was around 2600 BC. Similarly, there are also tin and gold works which were then produced by the Beaker people in 2150. More so, there was the famous La Tène style from the Celtic. Have you ever heard about those bronze mirror backs? Proudly, England catapulted itself to fame through these kinds of arts.
These bronze mirror backs are in the same way characterized by different types of shapes such as spirals, curved patterns and trumpet-shaped creations. Likewise, England is considered as the prime mover of both Romanesque and Gothic arts. Some of their classic examples can be any of these: illuminated manuscripts and the tremendous church sculptures. As far as the surviving England’s arts are to be regarded, the roster beamingly includes the Westminster Retable, the Wilton Diptych and other renowned art survivals from the Westminster Abbey and the Westminster Palace.
After the reign of the Hanoverian Dynasty, which halted the flourishing of English arts, William Hogarth left a similarly lasting legacy. This happened in the second quarter of the 18th century. His famous artworks have given England a sense of character, with the clearest significance of moralistic sense or contemporary life. As for the subjects, most paintings tackle the tastes and prejudices of the Protestant middle class. His paintings were mostly engraved in nature. Multiple scenes dominated the European art. If you are not too familiar with these artworks, here are some of the priceless examples: A Harlot’s Progress and A Rake’s Progress.
Toilet Paper as World Class Work of Art
In these modern times, there are many indigenous materials that can be beautifully transformed into a remarkable artwork. One of which, is the toilet paper. Using a toilet paper roll, you can make your family tree.
Here are the materials to be used:
- Cardboard tubes from paper towels
- Toilet paper rolls
- Some glue
- a pair of scissors
To start off, use the above mentioned materials to creatively shape the leaves and branches of your improvised family tree. Stick your family member’s photos in between the branches and then paint the cardboard to make it more beautiful.